Systems Administrator IT
Location: Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
Scheduled On-Site and remote work to support end users.
The Systems Administrator (or SA) is an integral member of the company’s Engineering and Security team that significantly contributes to building out and maintaining the IT and telecommunication infrastructures for our customers. SAs have the experience and skills necessary to implement and support a wide variety of complex technical solutions for a diverse SMB (small-medium business) customer landscape. As a Sysadmin, you also have advanced end-user soft skills, having honed your technical skills through the deft handling of escalations and keeping an end-user satisfaction mindset when delivering solutions.
Connect Cause Mission and Culture
At Connect Cause, we believe non-profit organizations are doing some of most important work in our communities. Non-profits have incredible adversities to overcome and are essential to providing much-needed services for those that require it most. We believe that we have a duty to help non-profits in their missions, assisting them through the challenging work they face by ensuring they have access to the latest and best technologies and technology services available. We provide affordable, scalable, and up-to-date information technology and information security solutions for our non-profit partners. We strive for our culture to define us and represent who we are.
· Be thoughtful, attentive, honest, and resourceful.
· Value integrity and display sound judgment.
· Self-improvement is a never-ending journey. Learn, grow, adapt.
· Embrace a commitment to success. Be dedicated to quality and thoroughness.
· Maintain a positive, can-do attitude. Reject negativity.
· Have stellar communication and be patient with others.
· Lead by example. Take initiative and promote a culture of excellence.
· Help foster these qualities in others as well as yourself.
Connect Cause is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
SA Technical Qualifications
We are seeking candidates with the following technical qualifications.
· Bachelor’s or vocational degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity, or Information Technology.
· Core competency certifications such as CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Cloud+, Microsoft Certified Professional, CCNA, etc. Advanced certifications such as MCSE, CISSP, CASP+, etc. are a major plus.
· 5+ Years’ recent experience providing Tier 1 and 2 consultative IT support for small-to-medium sized businesses.
· 5+ Years’ recent experience performing IT and cybersecurity project implementation work for small-to-medium sized businesses.
· 5+ Years’ recent experience providing or assisting with pre-sales IT engineering for small-to-medium sized businesses.
· IT/Cybersecurity experience with Non-profits a plus. Managed Services experience a major plus.
· Other relevant and qualifying work experience, education, and / or certifications may be a suitable alternative to any of the above, so long as the candidate still provides demonstrable necessary knowledge, competencies, and capability to perform the required job responsibilities with the utmost excellence.
SA Non-Technical Qualifications
In addition to the technical qualifications, the successful candidate will possess a number of non-technical skills.
· Ability to multi-task and juggle priorities in a fast-paced, high workload environment
· Resourcefulness and great ability to adapt and “roll with the punches”
· Attention to detail and thoughtful time management ability
· Thorough documentation skills and commitment to clerical excellence
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Able to understand and convey complex technical topics to a non-technical audience
· Customer service-oriented approach to your work as well as a courteous, respectful, and friendly demeanor
· Consultative and “big picture” mindset, able to understand how technology and business intersect, and provide advice and consultation to organizations
· Can work well alone with minimal oversight as well as with teams and reporting to managers as necessary
· Ability to take initiative, take responsibility, and own problems and projects from start to finish
· Able to meet various competing deadlines and coordinate work and schedules in very efficient and mindful ways
· Have a logical, problem-solving, can-do attitude
· Able to stick to the spirit behind our culture and business without having to rely on explicit direction or instruction
All SA candidates should have a diverse set of technical competencies. We do not necessarily expect candidates to have every single one of the following competencies, but the successful candidate will possess a wide, ideal mix of them with an advanced ability to work with, implement, administer, maintain, and troubleshoot.
· Microsoft Server Operating Systems (2012, 2016, 2019)
· Active Directory, Group Policy, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Intune
· Hypervisor and virtualization technology (VMWare ESX, ESXi, Hyper-V, Citrix), Virtual Desktops
· Common Windows Server roles, features, and related products (Powershell scripting, Remote Desktop Server, SQL, File and Print Services, Domain Controllers and FSMO roles, DHCP, DNS, NTFS shares and permissions, DFS, SMB, IIS, etc.)
· Office 365, GSuite, Microsoft Exchange (2013, 2016, 2019)
· Cybersecurity (EPP, EDR, SOC, IDS/IPS, Content Filtering, DPI-SSL, sandboxing, Gateway Antivirus, Next-Gen antivirus, Cloud App security, standards and frameworks such as NIST, ISO, COSO, Regulatory Compliances such as HIPAA-HITECH, CMMC, accreditations such as SOC2, HITRUST, etc.)
· Backup and Disaster Recovery (bare metal, block level, various platforms such as Veaam, Storagecraft, Acronis, Datto, etc.)
· Routing and Networking, Layer 3 Switching, WANs, LANs, vLANs, Wireless, VPN tunnels, VPN client/server, Firewall Access Lists (objects, groups, rules), common ports and protocols, NAT, PAT, TCP/IP, TCP/UDP, SSL, TLS, etc.
· End User Device Operating Systems (Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 11, Mac OS, iOS, Android)
· VoIP and telecommunications, video conferencing and conference bridges, PBX, SIP, etc.
· Common line-of-business applications (Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, various web browsers, Quickbooks/Sage/Other Accounting software, Ticketing and Incident management software such as Jira, ConnectWise Manage, or Autotask, RMM platforms such as Ninja, Kaseya, Solarwinds, or ConnectWise Automate, remote access platforms such as Screen Connect, TeamViewer, LogMeIn, etc.)
· Vendor and Platform agnostic/versatile (SonicWall, Cisco, Watchguard, HP, Dell, Lenovo, Ubiquiti, Synology, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Linux, Sophos, Webroot, Bitdefender, etc.)
SA Requirements and Responsibilities
The SA role has many requirements and responsibilities, including, but not necessarily limited to the following.
· Able to stand or sit for long periods of time utilizing various computer and phone systems. Moving around in a standard office environment between printers, faxes, colleague offices, etc. Ability to lift and carry approximately 50lbs occasionally (servers, UPS and networking equipment, etc.)
· Report directly to the Engineering and Security Manager.
· Follow all internal policies and procedures to provide a consistent experience for our customer base.
· Utilize internal applications and systems in support of all job responsibilities and collaboration, including Office applications, MS Teams, ConnectWise Manage ticketing system, ConnectWise Automate RMM platform, Screen Connect remote control software, OneDrive, etc.
· Remotely handle the helpdesk in conjunction with other sysadmins by taking trouble tickets submitted by our customer base and troubleshooting them from beginning to completion. Occasionally have tickets escalated to you indirectly from other sysadmins through the Engineering and Security Manager.
· Perform project work for technical solutions that are sold to customers by our sales team and assigned to you by the Engineering and Security Manager.
· Assist with technical discoveries for potential project work and onboarding new customers.
· Travel onsite to client sites as needed when remote resolution or implementation is not feasible or possible.
· Thoroughly document all the work you perform each day and enter time for this work each day as work is performed. Make detailed updates as needed and appropriate to internal documentation kept regarding client environment setups and configurations.
· Thoroughly communicate with internal resources and customers as needed to properly perform all job responsibilities.
· Participate in an “On-Call” rotation with other sysadmins to provide 24/7 support to our customer base.
· Occasional flexibility and capability of working after hours on special projects or to help with backlog of work when needed.
· Continuously look for appropriate, innovative ways to best maintain and improve client environments in support of their business goals utilizing Connect Cause services and relevant technical solutions. Collaborate with the Engineering and Security Manager on these ideas and discuss approved recommendations with clients to help make sales and grow our business.
· Spot checks on clerical work, documentation, call quality assurance, procedure following, etc.
· Analysis on quality of work
· Timeliness and efficiency of ticket handling and project work
· Meeting self-improvement and training goals
· Feedback from customers and other team members
· Showcasing excellence and being a paragon of the culture, competencies, and qualities listed above
Candidates will go through multiple rounds during the interview process. During this process, candidates will be asked various questions related to their work experience, knowledge, culture, etc. Candidates will also be tested to prove technical competency levels.
Compensation and Benefits
· Competitive market-based salary, commensurate with experience and education
· Health and dental benefits packages available
o Costs shared between employer and employee
· Supplemental benefits packages also available
· Generous and flexible PTO policy to help with work/life balance
· Reimbursement for eligible expenses
· Technical training guidance and reimbursement
· Generous Work From Home Allowance
· Unique and fun working environment and culture
o Morale committee dedicated to company events and outings
o Perfect balance of small, family-oriented, laid-back company culture while valuing and showcasing professionalism.
Important Reminders and Tips for Success
· We are a customer service-based organization first. Always be cognizant of how customers feel and might be impacted by your work and decisions.
· While living the culture, remember that we do have guidelines, procedures, and standards that must also be adhered to along the way.
· Not all clients and internal staff are alike. Try to gear tech speak and explanation to the audience.
· Set aside scheduled time on a weekly basis for continuous and important tasks such as documentation updates, meetings, etc.
· Be mindful of various correspondences and try to reply or acknowledge in a timely fashion. Detailed, frequent, and clear communication with colleagues and customers is a necessity.
· Thinking about and building out IT infrastructure in terms of scalability, affordability, and elegant simplicity is vital.
· If it isn’t in ConnectWise, it didn’t happen! Documentation, documentation, documentation!
· A great candidate will be able to make up some lack of technical skills by having stellar soft skills, the ability to learn and retain knowledge, and an incredible work ethic.
Please send your resume and references to [email protected]
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Connect Cause works exclusively with nonprofits and other charitable foundations to improve their technology solutions, so that they can make an expon...